Vacuuming your carpet is not enough to remove all the deeply embedded damaging dirt. Moreover, wet floor covering can affect your health by growing into a breeding site for allergy-triggering mold. This is why you need a carpet cleaner to deep and dry cleansing.
The problem is that there are so many models and brands in the market, it can get difficult choosing the right one for yourself.
Comparing Top Home Carpet Cleaners
You have to remember that all brands and models are not the same quality as some are more reliable while others may have better features and functionality.
1. Hoover FH50150 Power Scrub Deluxe
The Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe is every house maker’s companion. It effectively cleans all your upholstery and using its Power Scrub Deluxe features. The forced heated air it emits shortens the floor covering drying time while its spill free water tanks easily accessible to fill, empty and wash without using any tools.
- The shampooer is small and lightweight, making it easy to maneuver where required.
- It has Hoover’s Counter rotating brushes which don’t roll but spin while scrub carpets, and are easily removed for cleaning.
- Stairs and hard-to-reach areas are easily cleaned with its hose and upholstery tool while its DualV nozzle sucks and cleans surfaces evenly and quickly.
- Its wash/rinse option lets you wash carpets using water and then rinse and remove soap remnants using only water.
- As the shampooer is small, it takes longer to scrub rooms as its smaller size covers less space.
- Its smaller sized tanks require frequent filling and emptying.
- The hose constantly falls off the base, making upholstery cleansing difficult.
2. Bissell Big Green Deep Cleaning Professional Grade Machine
If you have pets making mistakes on your carpets, you need to have the Bissell Big Green at home. This is a powerful assistant with an extra-large brush which really deep cleans to remove even stubborn stains. The machine comes with a Bissell 2x Professional deep cleaning Formula.
- Cleaning time is short as it cleans on forward and backward pass and dries rather quickly
- Large capacity water tanks mean fewer trips to the sink
- Stain tool helps reach hard-to-reach areas while rotating dirt lifter brushes remove deep-down dirt
- Flow indicator keeps a check on water and solution levels so that you know when to check tanks
- Attachments help clean hard-to-reach areas and upholstery
- Some customers complain of water leakage over the place
- Some complaints of flimsy hand wands and white pins
Fed up of hiring professional cleaners to remove everyday stains on your carpet? With Bissell SpotClean ProHeat Portable Spot at home, you no longer need to depend on them. This machine not only cleans fresh stains, but also permanently removes old stains.
Its Heatwave Technology maintains a constant temperature for uniform cleansing of your floor and its removable tanks make filling and emptying them so easy. Its portability and additional tools help wash not only carpets but also upholstery, stairs, rugs, auto interiors and more.
- Slim and portable sign facilitates easy cleansing.
- A constant water temperature is maintained while cleaning through its Heatwave Technology.
- Tough stain tool is perfect to use for stairs, upholstery and hard to reach areas.
- Comes with a trial size Oxygen BOOST and SpotClean Spot and Stain Formula.
- Its removable water tanks can be easily filled and emptied.
- Water tanks are too small, about the size of a coke can which makes scrub so difficult as the water has to be emptied and refilled so many times.
- Spray nozzle sprays in a weird omnidirectional spray of water and thus uses too much solution.
- Not meant for washing large areas; better used for spot cleansing only.
4. Bissell SpotClean 3624
The Bissell SpotClean 3624 is one of the best for most households as it cleans efficiently, is easy so use and has a long life span. It has a good suction to collect lots of dust and hair strands. However as its washable foam filter is flimsy and tends to clog easily with dirt, it can lose its suction.
As its lightweight at 15.1 pounds, it’s easy to maneuver while its 22ft cord provides a long reach. The SpotClean’s stiff bristles scrubs and lifts dirt and stains regular vacuums won’t reach. All these features and its 2 year warranty makes it rate look rather reasonable.
- Effective at removing hard stains
- Its 6 inch tool helps scrub difficult to reach places
- 2 year warranty
- While there are not many cons with the Bissell SpotClean, few users complain that its hose is not durable and easily splits up.
5. Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro, FH50220
The Hoover Max Extract is designed to cleansing various surfaces from carpets and couches to wood and tiled floors. Its double chamber nozzle power washes surfaces using even suction across a wide path while its automatic detergent system dispels the right water and detergent ratio.
- Its Spinscrub Technology of 60 counter rotating brushes helps remove dirt at all angles by surrounding floor fibers.
- A Smart Tanks System has separate dirty and clean water tanks for easy filling, emptying and rinsing.
- An upholstery tool easily picks up debris the power brush doesn’t reach.
- Forced heated air and its MaxExtract DualV technology pulls up lots of dirty water to help speed up dry time.
- There’s some leaking at some point in all situations.
- Most probably because the brush drive pin is made of hollow and not solid plastic and with a pathetic and weak design.
Too busy for vacuuming and removing stubborn pet stains and spots? Then Bissell’s Spotbot is just what you need. All you need to do is set the desired automatic cleaning cycles, and you can walk away while the machine does all your work for you!
Its unique deep reach technology and spiral brushing action gives you a fresh and wash while it’s pet and stain odor formula removes 98% of odor causing bacteria.
- Deep Reach Technology thoroughly removes deep down stains
- Unique Spiral Brushing completes more than 400 revolutions to thoroughly and effectively remove tough stains
- Microban Antimicrobial Product Protection removes odor producing mildew, mold and bacteria
- Hand held hose and washing tool makes cleansing upholstery, stairs and auto interiors so easy
- No automatic heater. Water has to be warmed to soften dried stains
- Occasionally leaks a few tablespoons of water
- Hand attachment is not easily removed or re-attached
- Cleaning solution tank is not stable
- Large storage making storage tight
- Only effectively cleans small stains spanning about six inches in diameter. Needs more time and effort for larger areas and multiple stains
7. Bissell PowerLifter PowerBrush, 1622
You are left with an odor and stain-free clean using a portable, lightweight and easy-to-use assistant. This Bissell is user-friendly with its comfortable handle, lint screen, quick-release cord hooks, measuring cup, removable nozzle for quick washing and easily maneuvered wheels.
- Its rotating brush removes dirt and stains vacuum cleaners can’t reach
- Easier emptying and filling of a 2-in-1 water tank with a bladder which ensures dirty and clean water don’t mix
- It comes with a fiber cleansing formula and dual-purpose Scotchgard-enhanced detergent to protect from future stains and dirt
- 1-year warranty
- Common complaints of clogged nozzles which are not easy to unplug.
- Cleansing the nozzle costs money, the warranty is rather useless.
- There is no heater
8. Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Upright NV356E
It’s 30ft power cord and Swivel Steering action makes cruising around obstacles so easy. It’s Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology with HEPA filtration ensures all collected dust and allergens remain in the vacuum and do not get released back into the air.
- A lightweight device, it facilitates its easy use while climbing ladders to easily reach and clean ceiling fans and tops of shelving units.
- It quietly works both on carpets and hard surfaces.
- Its detachable Lift-Away canister provides for easy, portable cleansing
- For so many features, and a 5-year warranty, the product is definitely sold at a great price.
- Its powerful suction and swivel head ensures a thorough scrub of all hard-to-reach spots and types of dirt.
- Some find the cord to be shorter when compared to other vacuums.
- Too narrow nozzle
- Too much of plastic used in its construction.
9. Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge, F5914900
This impressive best steam vacuum cleans effectively both through its accessory hose and in the upright position. In fact, it suctions carpets more effectively than its other counterparts like Bissell and Dyson.
The Hoover SteamVac comes with a powerful hand tool, HEPA and washable primary filters, an upholstery tool, hose extension and crevice tool. It also applies heat to the floor for quick drying.
Its Spin Scrub rotating brushes takes care of stubborn stains to easily wash carpets and upholstery. Considering its limited one-year warranty, reasonably priced than most machines.
- Its spinning brushes and fast drying blower quickens drying time.
- The brushes squirt cleaning solution to the floor surface and with the rotating brushes, effectively remove stubborn and ingrained stains.
- Meeting North American Electrical Standards, this device is both reliable and durable in function.
- Remove dirt stuck on carpets, but also beeps when it reaches its maximum level so that the dirt tank can be replaced.
- Its small tanks necessitate constant refilling which is can get irritating
- Its wrong assembly may lead to its not working well and consequent problems.
- Its cord can interfere with your clean, and restricts your reach within its length.
10. Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3
The Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 is a sturdy and durable tool which works both on carpets and solid flooring. It has a large dual tank separating clean water and is perfect to use for small spaces, upholstery and even your car seats.
It works well with most quality detergents and its efficient and durable emulator trigger spray requires low maintenance.
- Works well with most quality detergent.
- Comes with a bottle of Pet Formula Carpet Cleaner, Eliminator Trigger spray and tool to use on upholstery and stairs.
- It is rather heavy and thus difficult to push around. Moreover, as the recovery tank holding dirty water is rather heavy when full, it adds to the weight of the device.
- Emptying the tank is a messy procedure as the water may get to your hands while draining.
- The handle is rather wobbly and looks flimsy.
- It wets any spot on the floor with just one or two passes.
11. Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet
There’s now a permanent solution in Bissell 1548 ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Full-Size shampooer. This shampooer uses heatwave technology and dual dirt lifter power brushes to remove all types of carpet stains while the pet stain tool tackles pet stains.
You can choose from various modes. The express mode cleans and dries your floor within an hour and deep scrape mode cleans toughest pet stains.
- Lightweight design leads to easy maneuvering around and under furniture.
- Multiple cleaning mode makes this perfect for a busy household with varied washing needs
- Comes with deep antibacterial formula, pet stain tool, tough stain tool and 2X professional formula for thorough wash of not only carpets but also stairs, upholstery and deep stains
- Professional results, just like professional services
- Easy to use even everyday
- Suction is not very strong
- Trigger for spraying water is near the hand grip and can be accidently used
- Small water tanks call for repeated refilling and emptying which can be a drawback while scrub large areas
Types of carpet cleaners
Though you can hire professional cleaners to do the job, if you have lots of carpeting to do or a house with kids and pets, its more economical and feasible to buy the best carpet shampooer and do your cleansing yourself. These are the types of devices you should consider.
- Rental deep cleaners are available for $20-$30 a day at supermarkets, home centers or hardware stores. They are upright machines with one tank carrying your cleaning solution and another which carries the dirty solution.
They also have a vacuum and fixed or moving brush all combined into a single unit. They are thus difficult to use and as it’s performance and convenience varies between machines, it’s better to rent the cleanest machine with least-worn brushes.
- Full sized cleaners are lighter and less bulky than rental machines. They work by scrubbing in a solution of water and detergent and later vacuuming the dirt and water. They are however rather expensive and take up your closet space.
- Compact cleaners are perfect for small jobs as they are easiest to maneuver around and take up less closet space. They can in fact be stored on a shelf and all you need to do is push a button and you can walk away while it works on all the stains.
Tips to consider
With so many compact carpet shampooers to choose from, it’s worth knowing which features to look out for to buy one for yourself.
- Belt-free carpet cleaners are a better buy as the ones with belts have to be replaced over time.
- Devices with moving brushes are better than devices with fixed or no brushes as they give a rather aggressive scrub.
- Choose machines with larger tanks so that you need to refill them fewer times. However as this also increases the machine’s weight, it can get rather difficult to maneuver around.
- Tools with longer vacuum hoses provide a farther reach while cleaning like vacuuming under furniture and vacuuming flights of stairs.
- It’s better to choose a shampooer with a separate soap dispenser which automatically dispenses the required detergent with water and shuts off while rinsing with fresh water.
- Some devices have a sensor indicating when the dirty water tank is full and when it has to be emptied. Similarly some have tank indicator lights indicating when the tank needs refilling.
- Of course, cost is important as the best cleaner’s rate should be within your budget. Don’t consider just the cleaner’s cost, but also the cost of replacing belts, bags, beater bags and replacement filters when required.
- Check the cleaner’s durability after prolonged use and if any special features do not function or weaken with time.
- Check the efficiency at collecting debris after a full washing of the area. The more efficient it is, the better the machine.
- Of course, the carpet shampooer should be easy enough for anyone to use and maneuver across surfaces.
Which is better – renting or buying?
Whether you know it or not, the carpet you have at home can trigger allergies and be a breeding place for mould. The chances are higher if you have pets at home because of hair shedding and poor potty habits and if you children who tend to spill things on floors or have accidents.
The only way you can prevent all this is by regular cleaning. Though you may think that a carpet cleaner rental is a cheaper option, buying one proves definitely cheaper in the long run.
- Save time and money
Yes, though the initial costs may be high, in the long term buying one is cheaper. For example, if you have to pay $30 to rent and $180 to buy one even if you use the carpet shampooer once in 2 months or 6 times a year, you will easily recover the machine costs within a year.
Moreover, consider the amount of time and money you have to spend calling and arranging for a machine, travelling to and from rental, signing the paperwork to rent and then the many times you have to load and unload the cleaning machine if you rent a machine every time you have to clean your carpet!
- Convenience of owning a machine
Convenience is another reason to buy a carpet shampooer as you never know when accidents may happen and you need a machine. It’s only if you clean spills immediately can you prevent stains from developing.
- No time restrictions
If you own a machine, you are under no pressure of returning within its 24 hours limit. Sometimes you need to clean more thoroughly, and need more time to wash your carpet. If you rent a cleaner, you will have to pay for two days’ rental if you need more time, which can be avoided if you had your own machine.
- Choose and buy your own carpet shampooer
When you buy it, you choose one based on various aspects like its size, features and accessories. In other words, you get to choose. However if you rent one, you may not always get to rent the model you want to use.
You have limited options to choose from as you can chose only amongst the brands and models the rental company has to offer. If you have no option but to rent a small machine to clean a large space, you spend more time and effort to scrub the stain.
Conversely, if you hire too large a machine, you end up renting a machine which uses more power and water to clean a small stain, which are in turn additional expenses for you. Moreover, large machines are rather difficult manoeuvring around.
- Buying is a more sanitary option
Similarly, there’s always the possibility that the cleaner rental hadn’t maintained their machines well, which in turn compromises on the machine’s work effectiveness and efficiency. You may thus end up spending more time and effort trying to understand the machine and trying to use it while overcoming its drawbacks. This problem may not exist if you own your own machine.
If you own a cleaner, you use it solely to clean your messes. If you rent, you share a device with many people and you don’t know what the others may have used the machine to clean! You may in fact end up bringing in more dirt to your home.
So if you were always undecided between renting and buying a cleaner, you should be able to make your decision now. As a carpet owner, you need to frequently clean your carpet to not only protect it but also for improved health. And when you frequently clean, it’s definitely better to buy a carpet cleaner instead of renting one.
Last updated: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 15:47 PM